Friday, September 23, 2016

The Making of a Meal

Cooking a full meal takes some time and planning. If I were to cook a meal for our class, I would make it as a study break from midterms. My budget would be probably around $150. I would make guacamole with chips, pesto pasta, chicken breast, and berries for dessert. To make it easier on me to cook, I would buy pesto sauce already made, instead of basil and the other ingredients to make it. To buy all of the ingredients listed below in the recipes, I would go to the Whole Foods near campus.
The recipe for the guacamole is as:
·                  10 avocados – $20
·                   5 tbs of lime juice – need to buy one lime – $1   
·                    1 cup of minced onion – need to buy one onion – $2
·                    10 tbs of cilantro –
·                    3 tomatoes chopped up -
·                    salt and pepper to taste
·                   chips
Pesto Pasta recipe                          
·                    6 packs of pasta
·                    Pesto sauce from store
·                    Butter
·                    Parmesan cheese
Sautéed chicken breast
·                    15-or so pounds of chicken breast
·                    Butter
·                    Salt and pepper to taste
Berries
·                    3 packs of strawberries
·                    2 packs of blueberries
·                    3 packs of raspberries
·                    whipped cream (in can)
Other
·                    Plastic plates
·                    Plastic Utensils
·                    Napkins
·                    Mini water bottles

I I would try to cook this meal by myself in the kitchen of my dorm, Long Street Means. If I needed help or was running out of time, I would ask my friends to help me.  In total, the process of cooking and buying the ingredients would probably take around 5 hours—it would take 2 approximately hours to Uber to whole foods and back and 3 hours to cook the meal and set the table. Additionally, I would use plastic utensils and plates so that the cleaning up process after the meal would be much quicker – instead of having to wash all of the plates and utensils, everything would be discarded. I would reserve the lounge of Longstreet Means Hall to host the dinner party, and have it be buffet style, so that everyone could get what they wanted.


Reflection: finding prices for each ingredient is quite difficult, and I ran out of time trying to find them. 2

No comments:

Post a Comment