Thursday, September 22, 2016

Eating Locally

          To me, eating locally means eating organic and healthy foods at home. Growing up, I almost always ate a home-cooked meal three times a day, besides the times when we would go out to a restaurant for a special occasion, such as a birthday. Like Kingsolver, I agree that it is important to know where your food comes from and that there are no chemicals and preservatives in it. If this is true, it is inevitable that it will be fresh and that you will eat it soon after it is harvested, otherwise it will go bad.

          One memory that always pops up in my mind when someone says, “it’s good to eat local”, is when my grandmother took my sister and I apple picking once a month, at a nearby farm in Maryland. I still yearn for a bite of one of the yellow-green organic soft and fresh apples. The difference between apples from a local farm and ones that you can get from a huge supermarket is tremendous. I really wish that this was not the case. Even at the “top tier” grocery stores, such as Whole Foods, which prides itself in being extremely fresh and organic, it is still quite difficult to find an apple with the same crisp and soft taste as one from a local farm in Maryland.

1 comment: