Saturday, December 3, 2016

Revised "Food and Gender"

          When I think about food, I often think of my mother or grandmother cooking a meal. In my family, the woman is usually the one who would do the cooking and serving of the meals. For large holidays and events, such as Rosh Hashanah or Thanksgiving, my mom usually organizes a “potluck” type meal for my large family, where the women of the family each bring a different dish. My mom usually cooks the main dish, such as fish or chicken. My aunt, cousins and grandmother would cook side dishes, such as vegetables and roasted potatoes, and salads. Sometimes my younger sister and I would even help out and make a nice dessert for the occasion. 


          The association in my mind of food and women, dates back to when I was very young and my grandmother would weekly make my younger sister and I a batch of meatballs, cheesecake, and an apple pie. For as long as I can remember, I would look forward to the weakened to when my grandmother would bring me this food. From then on, the association of women and food clicked in my mind and I thought that this was the right of way and how all meals are prepared, even though now I realize this is false, as the main “chef” of the family varies among different families. For example, in my friends family, her father cooks all of the meals.


No comments:

Post a Comment